Monday, March 8, 2010

How to start a story

I have been asked many times how I begin a story. Every author has a way that works best so what one author does might not work for another author. I start by developing a problem I can create for my characters. I want the problem to be believable so children will be able to think of themselves in a similar situation. I start by getting the characters into some sort of trouble, and then I try to sketch out what might happen throughout the story. Often I don't have the ending decided until I get to that point in my writing. Usually my basic sketch is what I use, but sometimes that changes as different characters "show up" as the writing process progresses. So for me, step one is to create a problem and sketch out where that problem might lead my characters.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to stop in and comment on my "Chesterbook Academy Allows Bullying Behavior" post. It meant so much to me to have your support.

    ReplyDelete